So, I have to be honest, I really can’t take churches that identify as “liberal” or “conservative” anymore.
And I know that’s saying a lot since many consider the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, my church body, to be “liberal, mainline, Protestant.”
If we are that, then we’re in trouble. We will, as a denomination, die if that is the case.
And we will die because a church cannot be rooted in God but worship a principality like a party platform or a political ideology.
We need to be a radical church.
Radical churches don’t flow with any political ideology, and yet they understand themselves to have a voice in the public square.
Radical churches understand that hunger can be temporarily alleviated through food pantries, but that systemic change only happens through hunger awareness, advocacy, and systemic upheaval.
Radical churches understand that talking about violence has less to do with “rights”, and more to do with how the Prince of Peace might call a Christian to respond.
Radical churches take seriously personal responsibility and communal responsibility.
In short, a radical ethic would be: our responsibility is to our neighbor and our neighbor’s responsibility is to us. This cyclical nature of Christian ethics should lead not to a party platform but to a subversive way of living in the world. We do not separate into sheep and goats, but rather once separated, jump over those lines to stand in solidarity with those who have been unjustly labeled.
Labeled either way.
- age-of-aqueerius reblogged this from affcath
- age-of-aqueerius likes this
- jessdudzlmt likes this
- jessdudzlmt reblogged this from affcath
- altar-of-love likes this
- dreamchasingwindie likes this
- yourshadowisfollowingyou likes this
- the-sarcasm-fairy26 likes this
- spookysquirrlyskeletons likes this
- kellyrowley reblogged this from barefootchaos
- barefootchaos reblogged this from holabrody
- barefootchaos likes this
- jasmaraz likes this
- holabrody reblogged this from exvotos
- flamingstrawberries likes this
- inquietstrength likes this
- revythomas likes this
- ravennightsong likes this
- progressivejesus likes this
- hiswoundishisstrength reblogged this from myadventuresinoddity
- wearethestories reblogged this from affcath
- inhimthereisnoshadowofturning likes this
- chrysostmom reblogged this from exvotos
- loveincommunity likes this
- justincraigmorgan likes this
- eccenunc reblogged this from affcath
- themostkindredofspirits likes this
- hiswoundishisstrength likes this
- acelessthan3 reblogged this from saving-sergius
- ravingoctopodes likes this
- joshbarrett reblogged this from exvotos
- bottleofink likes this
- exvotos likes this
- exvotos reblogged this from sebastianmorris
- jsters0114 likes this
- sebastianmorris reblogged this from myadventuresinoddity
- sebastianmorris likes this
- andrewsmind reblogged this from godinthebrokenness
- myadventuresinoddity likes this
- liki-art reblogged this from saving-sergius
- saving-sergius reblogged this from godinthebrokenness
- mainline-remnant likes this
- galesofnovember likes this
- dick-of-saint-vick reblogged this from affcath
- dick-of-saint-vick likes this
- godinthebrokenness reblogged this from affcath
- godinthebrokenness likes this
- audaciousadorablosity reblogged this from affcath
- affcath posted this